(This blog uses cookies, by continuing to browse the blog you are consenting to the use of cookies.)

A Butterfly Dude!

After my last post, my Significant Other, Steve, asked me if I'd paint a boy butterfly to fly with my girl butterfly. I know. He's gorgeous.

Having never painted a boy, ever, I didn't know if I could do it.

Painting female features feels easier to me. Eyelashes, rosy cheeks, red lips. We're good to go. I wasn't sure how to capture male features. I decided to start by painting a little boy, as I figured male and female children's features aren't that different from each other.

I also decided to make this a heavier mixed media piece to see if I could handle Caran D'Ache water soluble pastels and Inktense watersoluble pencils. I've used them before, but only the lighter colours in small doses. I wanted to see how they worked on larger spaces, blended with Tombow brush pens and watercolour paints.. I also wanted to use some words cut from a vintage encyclopedia I have.  Printed in the 1930's the text and paper quality is gorgeous and I wanted to add it to the painting.

Here he is.  He's called Arabis, and he's a butterfly flower nymph.  Mainly because my 1930's encyclopedia had those words in it.  I was hoping for "Joy", "Hope" and "Love" but no joy.  Literally.

Arabis is a little flower that flourishes in the tiny corners of rock gardens.  That made me smile.

My next drawing challenge is to try and paint an adult dude.  With butterfly wings that suit him.  This is no mean feat.  I'll let you know how it's going and will share him with you as soon as he's finished.  If you have any good tips on how to draw and paint male figures, they'd be very gratefully received! Again, huge thanks in advance.

I hope all is good with you?


Sending smiles,

8 comments

  1. You totally captured the sweetness of a little boy! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Arabis is a cutie!
    I have NO artistic skills whatsoever so I can't offer any advice. Other than to get Steve to model for you. With or without wings. Could be fun...! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boy looks lovely Emma!!

    Happy new week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're amazing
    and i think this is the first
    boy butterfly
    i've ever seen, too!
    such a pioneer, you:)
    it's fun to watch you stretch
    out your wings,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is brilliant you are so clever. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOh well done for trying a boy-I agree, always much more difficult. It would be great to try and adult. There's quite a few photos and paintings featuring handsome males with angel wings, I always think they are really beautiful: they could be useful and help with inspiration etc :-)
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Emma!
    Your site always makes me smile! It is filled with so much joy and life!!! Your Butterfly Dude is awesome!!!

    Wishing you all the best,
    Amy Kathleen

    Oh, http://www.picmonkey.com/ has a nice option to put text on pictures. There are lots of text options, colors, and fonts. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Professional Blog Designs by pipdig