(This blog uses cookies, by continuing to browse the blog you are consenting to the use of cookies.)

Beautiful Words





Trading Phrases | Inspirational Wall Words | Inspirational Wall Decals



I find quiet courage very beautiful.  I believe the world is full of ordinary people who quietly get up for another day, intent on trying to do their best, even though they may be tired, lonely or afraid.  

I smiled at an old man in Sainsbury's a while back and he came up to me and told me I looked like a rainbow in his day (admittedly I was donning a pink coat and carrying a red bag).  He said it meant a lot to him that I'd given him a smile.  (He also said that if he was 20 or 30 years younger he'd be all over me like a rash, but I don't want to sully a heart-warming moment with that part of the conversation.)  

He told me he was 87 and he lived alone.  He made me laugh, he was so full of fun and kindness.  He had a basket with a small bottle of milk, a tin of soup and a loaf in it.  A lovely man who was keeping on keeping on.  I hope that if I have the good fortune to hit 87, I'm still smiling, flirting and keeping on keeping on.
    


9 comments

  1. Every fortnight I catch a bus to visit family and I see the same older gentleman who I have got to know quite well at the same bus stop. He looks passed all my tattoo's (which always seems to offend older people as a rule!) and we have quite a laugh. He is 89 years young and is as fit as a fiddle, and tells me some fab stories. He tells me he enjoys chatting to me and he always makes me smile. In fact I think we both look forward to seeing each other! Taking time out to smile or have a chat to someone costs nothing but can mean the world. Not many people take that time which is a shame. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. You just never know what's going on in a person's life. Good for you for connecting with the man, however briefly. Connection is so important.

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em,

    I hope you/we all will! I think that the most important thing is to give. I believe and hope that when you give a lot of yourself, it will get back to you in the end. A smile like yours or kind words can do so much. We all need each other. It's all about love for fellow human beings.

    Have a lovely day!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely heartwarming post. M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story and one I can relate to. Whenever I am out and about shopping I always smile at the older folk and say hello. It's all I can do not to whisk them home with me when I see their few little items for one in their baskets. I know how lucky the older members of my family are as we all live together or in the next street which is just how I like it. Lolo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say - being a real life friend as well as a bloggy one - that ever since I've known you - and I'm thinking that's around 37 years (eeek!) you've had a killer smile that would make men and women alike drop dead at 100 paces! And dimples! Phew. I'm not surprised he wanted to chat, and ahem, make your acquaintance! (s that what the kids are calling it these days? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Professional Blog Designs by pipdig